Mulluru (Kodagu District, Karnataka): One of the most ancient Jain centres in Kodagu is situated in Mulluru near Shanivarasanthe. Three Jain Basadis in memory of Jain Theerthankaras have been throwing light on the history of Jainism in the region.
The place was the capital of the Kongalvas, who were the subordinates of the Cholas.
There are three Basadis of Parswanatha, Shanthinatha and Chandranatha. All the three Basadis which have been built using granites in the Ganga- Chola style. The original structure must have been of the 10th century, which was renovated during the 12th century. The Chandranatha Basadi which was built around 1058 AD is also in Ganga-Chola style. Here also, the main deity is seated in meditative posture. The records say that all the three Basadis were renovated by Chief Commander Gundappa during the reign of Vijayanayagara emperor Harihara II. There are sculptures on Yaksha-Yakshi on the walls of the Basadis. There are 20 inscriptions and Veeragallu on the premises of three Basadis.
When an old ‘Kalyani’ (well) situated behind three Basadis was renovated in 1996, a 35-kg weighing Panchaloha Gomateshwara statue was found inside the well. The idol has been kept in Jain museum at Halebeedu.
The three Basadis are under the control of Archaeological Survey of India and has been attracting many tourists. – Article Courtesy: Deccan Herald