History – Koppala is situated on the left banks of Hirehalla a tributory of the Tunga-Bhadra river. It was also called Kopana Nagara in the ancient time. It was the centre of Jaina and Veerashaiva religion and culture. The Gavimutha is an old and noted Veerashaiva Muth. It is connected with a saint called Gavisiddeshwara. The place here gained importance due to two Ashokan edicts. These are found at Gavimutha and Palkigunda. There are many Jain idols and inscriptions in the place. It was also the capital of a branch of Shilaharas at the end of the 10th Century. It was ruled by Kalyana Chalukyas and Bijapur Muslim kings. Mundaragi Bheemaraya the famous freedom fighter against the Biritish died fighting here in 1858.
Accommodation – Being a district centre Koppala has good boarding and lodging facilities.
Temple Name – Sri Parshwanath Swamy Digambar Jain temple.
Main Deity – The 3 feet high idol of Bhagwan Parshwanatha in the Kayotsarga posture.