Mulluru

History – One of the most ancient Jaina centres of Kodagu, Mulluru is in Somwarpet taluk.  This place seems to have been the capital of the Kongalvas, who were the subordinates of the Cholas.  There are three basadis of Parswanatha, Shanthinatha and Chandranatha.  The Parswanatha basadi was built by Poccahha, the queen of King Kongalva II in the mid 11th century.  This is recorded in an inscription engraved on the Navaranga wall.  It is in the Ganga- Chola style.  The original structure must have been of the 10th century which was renovated during the 12th century.  The main deity is a Chola sculpture seated in meditation.  The Hoysalas and the Vijayanagar rulers also seem to have contributed for its extension.
The Chandranatha Basaid which is built around 1058 AD is also in Ganga-Chola style.  Here also the main deity is seated in meditative posture.  Now these basadis are under the control of Archaeological  Survey of India and are very well maintained.  It appears to have been a very great centre of Jaina learning with many ascetics having lived here.  There are many inscriptions here.

Heritage Centre Type – Place of Archeological Importance

How to Reach – Situated at a distance of about 25 km from Somwarpet on the Shanivarasanthe-Banavara road on a right deviation, Mullur can only be reached from a narrow road.

 

Post Author: JHC