Ujjain occupies a unique place in the Jain History.
History – This history of Ujjain place is very ancient. The 24th Tirthankar of Jainism Lord Mahavira had to face upsarga in a Samshan by rudra where many stones were thrown at him. The Last Shrutakevali Bhadrabahu has left for South along with king Chandragupta Maurya from this place. This is the nirvana place of Muni Abhayghosh. A museum is found behind the Jain temple. There are more than 500 idols in this museum.
Sri Mahavir Tapobhumi, Indore Road, Ujjain
Sri Mahavir Tapobhumi has been established under the guidance of Muni 108 Sri Pragnasagarji Maharaj, a disciple of Acharya 108 Sri Pushpadanthsagarji Maharaj. There are many Digambar Jain Temples here, these include:
- Munisuvrata Jinalaya – About 3 feet high idol of Tirthankar Munisuvrata in padmasana is seen here. We can also see an idol of Brahma Yaksha here.
- Abhayaghosh Mandir – This temple has about 4 feet high marble idol of Abhayaghosh Swamy in Kayatsarga.
- Mahavir Mandir – This temple has about 15 feet idol of Lord Mahavir as the main deity. To the right of the Mahavir idol is seen the idol of Lord Adinath in Padmasana and to the left of Lord Mahavir is seen the idol of Sahasraphani Parshwanath Tirthankar in Padmasana. On either sides of the main vedhi are installed the individual Tirthankars of current times in Padmasana.
- Kalikundala Parshwanath Mandir – Just below the Mahavir mandir in the basement is seen the Kalikundala Parshwanath Mandir. This temple has the idol of Tirthankar Parshwanath in Padmasana inside the Kalikundala Yantra. On either sides of this idol are installed the images 24 Ganadharas in Padmasana.
- Choubis Tirthankar Mandir – This is located in the 1st floor. It has the idol of 24 Tirthankaras being made of gem stones.
- Neminath Parshwanath Mandir – It has the black coloured idols of Tirthankar Neminath and Parshwanath in Kayotsarga engraved on the same stone.
- Pada of Lord Adinath – The Pada/feet impressions of Lord Rishabnath measuring 7×7 feet are installed in a mantapa.
- The idol of Acharya 108 Sri Shanthinsagarji Maharaj in Padmasana is installed in front of the main office.
How to Reach – Ujjain is on the bank of river Kshipra and 80 Kms from Indore and 176 Kms from Bhopal. The Jain temples are in Jaisinghpur area.
Jain Museum, Jaisinghpura – Sri Digambar Jain Sangrahalaya, amuseum with around 560 Jain idols is seen at Jaisinghpura, Ujjain. It