History – There is a story regarding the origin of this place. Ravana, the king of Lanka observed the vow of taking meals only after worshipping God. Once when he was traveling by his aeroplane, he landed near Alvar to take rest. He remembered the vow of worshipping God but he had forgetten to bring the idol with him. In order to keep the vow, Mandodari made an idol of sand and gave life to it by chanting the mantra of Namokar. Having worshipped God with devotion, Ravan and Mandodari kept their vow. Thus, the idol of Bhagawan Parshwanatha worshipped by Mandodari and Ravana began to be known as ‘Shri Ravana Parshwanatha’. The ancient temple survived till the fifteenth century. Then in the year 1654 of the Vikram era, this new temple was built and the idol was reinstalled in the year 1983 of the Vikram era. Ravana Parshwanatha is mentioned in many ancient inscriptions written from the year 1422 to the year 1689 of the Vikram era.
There are over a dozen Jain temples at Alwar. The ahimsa Sthal at Jaipur Road and Parshwanatha Digamabar Mandir at Jain Bhavan are very beautiful and miraculous.
How to Reach – The temple is situated in the Birbal Mohalla near Bus stand in Alvar city. The railway station of Alvar, is at a distance of 3 kilometers from the temple. Alwar is well connected by road from Delhi and Jaipur. Bus service and private vehicles are available.
Main Deity – About 13 inches high, white-colored idol of Bhagawan Ravana Parshwanatha in the Padmasana posture.