History – Sirohi was said to be built in about the fourth century BC under the name of Shivapuri. From 1405 onward, after the devastation of Chandravati at the south- eastern foot of Mount Abu by Muslim forces, it was the capital of Sirohi State, up to Independence in 1947.
We can find sixteen Swethambara Jain temples in Sirohi. Most of these temples were built during the sixteenth and seventeenth century. The earliest of the thirty-four, inscriptions found in these temples tell us the history from the year 1167 AD. The best known is the Parshvanatha temple. The partly deserted palace of the Sirohi royal family, located in the old part of the town where most of the Jaina temples are situated cannout be visited by public.
To illustrate the view of Sirohi being a suitable place for undertaking short excursions, there is, to start with, seven kilometres from Sirohi Road towards Abu Road a prominent hill with a large complex of temples called Bamanvad. It is sacred to Mahavira and a popular destination for Shvetambara pilgrims. The earliest inscription on this hill dates from 1292, but there are remains which are much older. An. extensive re-renovation took place in 1979. Lord Mahavira’s footprints are worshipped on top of the hill. Maharao Shivabhan’s son Shesmalji Chauhan settled this town in the year 1482 of the Vikram era. This temple was built still earlier. This is called the temple of Achalagachchha. It was the result of excellent and pure thoughts that this temple was built in a forest where even the town was not settled. In course of years, the place was changed into a city. It is still unravished. All this is the influence of good thoughts. Jagadguru Hirvijaysursvarji got here the rank of an Acharya. Gold mohurs were distributed on this auspicious occasion of the great festival. This is noteworthy. The idol of the four-mouthed Bhagawan Adishvar in the four-storeyed temple was installed in the year 1634 of the Vikra era. Its art etc. are very distinct even today. Many great Acharyas did many religious activities here on this land. From the door of the open square of the sanctuary behind the temple of Bhagawan Adishvar to the palace, there is a subterranean passage. Perhaps, it was made for the King and the queens to come to the temple. They had boundless faith in religion. At present, there are nineteen temples beside ancient temple of Bhagawan Adinath. The idol of Saraswatidevi installed in the Pausadhashalas near the Achalgachchha temple is very beautiful. In the temple of 52 idols, the idol of Mulnayak Bhagawan Adinath is studded with gems. The sculpture is very beautiful. One hundred ancient idols of Panch dhatu (five metals alloy) are very delightful. The sculpture of arched-gates, pillars and the pendal in the four-mouthed temple is sighty.
How to Reach – The Sirohi railway station is at a distance of 24 kilometers from the temple. Good boarding and lodging facilities are available at Sirohi.
Main Deity – White-colored idol of Bhagawan Adinatha in the Padmasana posture.