Previously called by the name Prahaladpur, Palanpur has a history that dates back to the thirteenth century of the Vikrama Era. This place was ruled by king Prahalad and hence was called by the name Prahladpur. Also the temple here was built by king Prahalad and hence the idol of Bhagawan Parshwanatha became famous as Prahaladan Parshwanatha. Now it is called as the temple of Pallaviya Parshvanath. King Prahalad melted the metal idol of Delvada in Abu and made an idol of Nandi (bull). As a punishment for showing disrespect to the Delwada Jain Idol, he was affected by leprosy. In agony, he at last went to a forest. There he meet Acharyashi Shalibhadrasurisvarji. he repented for what he had done and then according to the instructions and with blessings of the Acharya, he constructed the temple of Bhagawan Parshwanatha. He poured on his body the water with which the idol was washed and cured his disease of leprosy. King Prahalad then become a follower of the Jain religion He was a scholar and wrote many books. His dramatic work entitled ” Parshwa Parakram Vyasang” is famous even today. The present idol was formally installed under the auspices of Kakkasurisvarji on the fifth day of the bright half of the month of Falguna in the year 1274 of the Vikram era. Along with this temple we can find fourteen more temples at this place. This is the birth place of Shri Somsunder Surishwar (Vikram era 430) and of Acharya Shri Hirvijay Suriseswarji (Vikram era 1583).
The Palanpur station is on the railway and the main highway from Ahmedabad to Abu Road. The railway station and the bus station are at a distance of one kilometer from the temple. Buses and taxis are available for travel to the temple. There are Dharmashala and bhojanashalas in the town.
::main_deity|0|temple::Nearly 18 inches high, white colored idol of Bhagawan Prahalaviya Parshwanatha.::/main_deity|0|temple::