History – This history of this place related to the period of Rama, the king of Ayodhya. The Greek geographer Tolemi, who visited India in the year 140 A. D. considered a temple at Pavagadh as an ancient and holy place. In the year 1540 of the Vikram era, Mohammed Begdo, the Muslim sultan, invaded this temple. Later on, on the thirteenth day of the bright half of the month of Magh of the year 1937 of Vikram era, this temple was reconstructed under the auspices of the Digambar Bhattarak, Kanakakirti Maharaj. There was a period when this temple was regarded as holy as the Shetrunjay temple. On the thirteenth day of the bright half of the month of Magh every year, a fair is held here and a flag is hoisted on this Digambar temple. There is a reference that Lav and Kush, the sons of Ramchandraji, the king of Ayodhya and a number of monks also practiced penance here and attained salvation. At present, there are seven other Digambar temples on the hill and there are two Digambar temples in the town of Champaner at the foot of the hill. The caves of Pavagadh are worth seeing. This place is known for the power of Kalika Devi, the Sashan Devi of Achal Gacchadhisatayika.
How to Reach – The hill of Pavagadh is at the height of 925 meters above the sea-level. The nearest railway station is the station of Pavagadh on the Vadodara – Ratlam railway line. It is 53 Kms from Vadodara. Pilgrims have to climb on foot the path of the hill. The path is nearly five kilometers long. The foot of the hill is know as the Pavagadh station and the Champaner town. There are Dharmashala and Bhojanashalas at the foot of the hill.
Main Deity – White coloured idol of Bhagawan Parshwanatha in the Padmasana posture.
Sri Chandraprabhu Digambar Jain Temple on the Hill