- January 20, 2014 – a historic day for the Jains world wide
- Union Cabinet clears Granting Minority Status to Jains at the National Level
- A long awaited several decades old struggle with the untiring efforts of thousands of Jains comes true.
- Sri K.Rehman Khan minister for minority affairs confirm the news to Nitin H.P. of WWW.JAINHERITAGECENTRES.COM.
- Government order to be issued in a weeks time.
New Delhi, January 20, 2014: The union cabinet has cleared the proposal from the ministry of minority affairs to grant minority status to the Jain community at the national level. The Jains will be notified as minorities under the section 2C of National Commission of Minorities Act 1992. The Jains will be the 6th religion to be included under the act along with the other 5 religions, viz., Zorastrians (Parsis), Buddhists, Sikhs, Christians and Muslims. The union minister for minority affairs Mr. K. Rehman Khan informed this to Mr.Nitin H.P., executive director of WWW.JAINHERITAGECENTRES.COM (JHC) while speaking on phone at around 8.20 pm soon after the cabinet meeting from his residence.
Government Order (GO): When enquired as to when the GO in this connection will be issued, Mr. Rehman Khan informed that it will be issued in about a week’s time.
Jain Delegation Thanks Rehman Khan: Mr. U.Sudhir Lodha, member of the state minority commission, Government of Tamil Nadu; Mr.R.P.Jain, Jain leader from New Delhi, mentor & advisor of JHC & Jain Acharya Lokesh Muni and other members of the Jain community arrived at the residence of Rehman Khan following the cabinet meeting and immensely thanked him for the same.
JHC Thanks Rehman Khan: Nitin thanked Sri Rehman Khan on behalf of the Jain communities of India & Karnataka and also from the team at JHC for his inimitable efforts in getting this long awaited demand since decades by the Jain community.
People to be mentioned in the effort to get minority status – On this historical occasion it is worth while to mention the efforts of several Jains in the past but more prominently in the recent times Mr.U.Sudhir Lodha, member of the state minority commission, Government of Tamil Nadu; Sri Chakresh Jain, President of Jain Samaj Delhi & Sri Agrawal Digambar Jain Pracheen Panchayat; Mr.Pradeep Jain ‘Aditya’ minister of state for rural development, Govt. of India; Dr.D.Veerendra Hegde dharmadhikari of Dharmasthala; Mr.D.Surendra Kumar, national executive president, Bharatiya Jain Milan, Mr.Sushil Kumar Jain, senior advocate at the honourable supreme court of India; Acharya Sri Lokesh Muniji; Late Mr.Bal Patilji; Mr.Shanthilalji Muttha of Bharatiya Jain Sanghatana of Pune; Mr.Subhash Oswal Vice President of Swethambar Sthanakawasi Sangh; Mr.D.K.Jain (Luxor) of JITO; Milind Phade; Ajit Neminath Kamagowda from Athani taluk in Belgaum district and others who have put their untiring efforts over the years at the official level. Mr.Sunjay Jain, president of Vishwa Jain Sanghatan & his team deserver special mention for going on hunger strike at Jantar Mantar, New Delhi seeking Minority status for Jains.
We cannot forget our gratitude for the kind blessings of our revered Acharyas, Sadhus & Sadhvis from all sects of Jainism.
Some facts that helped Jains to get Minority status, although belatedly –
It is reliably learnt that during the discussions at the cabinet committee on the subject the following points were inter-alia highlighted:
- The Jains were considered the seperate religious entity in the census held in 1901.
- Acknowledment by Mr.Mathai secretary to the first prime minister of India Mr.Jawaharlal Nehru and as well as Sardar Vallabhai Patel, the 1st deputy prime minister that Jains are a seperate unique independent religion and
- Under article 25 of the constitution of India Jains, Buddhists and Sikhs are classified as separate independent religions.
- Jains already being granted minority status in 11 states of India and by granting the minority status at national level the repetitive pressures and efforts will not be required.
Reactions on granting the minority status –
Dr.Hampa Nagarajaiah – Noted Jain scholar Dr.Hampa Nagarajaiah remarked that, “Delighted, though belated. This will go a long way and will open gates for new frontiers to the younger generation”.
Dr.C.Devakumar – Renowned Jain scholar, scientist & former assistant director general Indian Council for Agricultural Research said, “Congrats to all Jains and more particularly our leaders like Shri Sudhir K Lodha ji, Shri Chakresh ji Jain. The crusade of late Shri Bal Patil has atlast found its success”.
Dr.H.A.Parshwanath – Jain researcher, theatrist, co-founder of JHC & former joint director – department of medical education, government of Karnataka, has expressed his satisfaction for according the minority status for the Jain community at large and thus paving the way for its due recognition in all spheres of life. – Inputs from Mr.U.Sudhir Lodha, Mr.R.P. Jain & Nitin H.P., Jain Heritage Centres News Service