History – Previously called by the name Madhyamika Chittorgarh has a fort spread on the hill is 16 Kms long and 1 Km wide. The Satbis (27) Deora, Vijaystambh, Kirtistambh and Digambar Jain Mandir, Meerabai temples found inside the fort are very important. Chittorgarh was also called as Chitrakut named after the king Chitranand who built the fort. Chittorgarh is also the birthplace of Acharya Haribhandrasurishvarji. In an inscription chartered by King Kumarpal, it is said that Chitrakut along with seven hundred villages were given to the potter, Alik for having protected him. The temple of Bhagawan Mahavira was built here in the year 1167 of the Vikram era. The temple of Bhagawan Parshvanath was built in the year 1322 of the Vikram era. The King’s advisor built many Jain temples during the period of King Mokal. The Tirthamala composed between the years 1563 and 1566 of the Vikram era, states that there were 32 temples of different gachchhas. The Digambar Jain Kirtistambh is one among them. The seven-storied Kirtistambh was one among them. The seven-storied Kirtistambh was built in the fourteenth century in memories of Bhagawan Adinatha. At present we can find six temples on the fort of Chittor. The largest and chief among them is the temple of Bhagawan Adinatha with fifty-two devkulikas. The place of this temple is known as ‘Sattavish devri’. It means that at some time in the past, there were twenty-seven temples here. In Rampol Street of the village on the fort, there are temples of Bhagawan Mahavir Swami and of Bhagawan Shantinath in the same compound. The fort of Chittor is famous all over India. It is, therefore, said, “Chittorgarh is the only fort and all other forts are simply small fortresses.” This is a land of heroes. Many great kings and their Jain advisors lived here and they made great achievement from time to time. The artistic Jain Kirtistambh built in the fourteenth century even today reminds us of the glorious history of Jains. The sixteenth renovation of Mt. Shetrunjaya was accomplished in the year 1587 of the Vikram era and the renovator belongs to this place. The place of Bhamashah, the great donor and Maharana Pratap’s treasure is also of this place. There are five other temples in the fort. The temple of Bhagawan Shantinath is small but rich with artistic skill of high quality. It is called Shrungal Choki. Near the Gaumukhi Kund (stepped pond), there is a temple of Bhagawan Parshvanath with four mouths. Besides, the temple of Mirabai and Samidheshvar are very delightful. Below the fort, near the gateway to the village, there is Smrtuimandir of Haribhadrasurishvarji.
How to Reach – Chittorgarh is connected by rail and road from Ajmer; Udaipur; Ratlam and Delhi. The nearest railway station of Chittorgarh is at a distance of 7 kilometers from the temple and 4 kilometers from the Dharmshala. The are board and lodging facilities are available in the fort.
Main Deity – Nearly 14 inches high, black coloured idol of Bhagawan Adinatha in the Padmasana posture.